Thursday, March 17, 2011

California Dreaming ~ Kelsey and Joe's Engagement Photos

Meet Kelsey and Joe - an adorable couple I had the pleasure of photographing a few weeks ago. Besides being the best of friends, they have an easy familiarity between them that translates onto film. Talk about a photographer's dream!

When they mentioned they wanted their pictures shot by the water - I immediately thought of Sunset Cliffs which offers such a variety of places to shoot. We had such a great time joking around while we were working together, it was hard to pick between all the great shots we got.

A neat thing I learned about Kelsey and Joe is how they met. In high school! The very high school I graduated from myself! They even went to prom together. Isn't that terrific? They are both in graduate school now and about to transition into the next phase of their lives. How much more inspiring can they be?

This black and white image is one of my favorites. I was shooting into the sun as it was setting and had no idea if the shot would work. I just knew I wanted to try to get a silhouette and hooray, it worked. It kind of reminds me of something you'd see on a movie poster.

This is a path of flowers that leads down to the cliffs and to the shore below. It feels a little like the east coast. Like something you might see on Long Island or perhaps Nantucket. I love it.

One of the things I try to do when I am shooting is to joke around with my subjects to get them to relax and be their true selves. If I can do that, I can capture their spirit -- if only for an instant. I think I was successful - and for that I am grateful.


1 comment:

  1. What a cute couple.... and from PH High! Funny! Great pics! My favorite is the one of them lying among the flowers.

    ReplyDelete